Monday, November 14, 2016

Another Recycled Lamp


When we purchased our house, the owners left several lamps in the pitifully staged house. Seriously, there were a couple of TV trays (like from the 1960s) with lamps and timers in the rooms that did not have overhead lighting. I redid the mid-century lamp from the basement. Check it out: HERE

 And I wanted to see what I could do with two of these:


For about five minutes in the 1970's I thought these glass lamps were interesting, but I always felt like there needed to be something inside them. 

Seashells in a beach house ... maybe. Silk flowers ... NEVER.

The shape reminded me of blue and white ginger jar lamps...which I like. Since there is no way in the world I could ever paint something like that myself, I thought I would decoupage with cocktail napkins. It seemed to be a simple, interesting technique. 

I headed to Tuesday Morning (one of my favorite places) looking for inspiration.


I ended up with a package of guest towels, $2.99 for 16. I liked the repeat pattern and the fact that there were only 2 colors. 


I got my sharp little scissors and put on Netflix while I snipped away. Once the patterns were cut out, all I had to do was carefully peel away the two white layers of paper, leaving me with a very thin layer of paper with the pattern. I had watched some videos about using cocktail napkins for decoupage. Really pretty simple.

While I carefully practiced the scissor skills I learned in elementary school, I watched anther episode of REIGN.


Next I reached for the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint that sticks to glass.
I chose Versailles, a pale, grayish green, and applied 2 coats.


I used the Annie Sloan decoupage medium, because her stuff is designed for the non-professional crowd. 


All I had to do was paint the medium on the spot where I wanted to apply my paper, stick it on, and cover it with a thin layer of the medium. I then waited 20 minutes for the medium to dry and added a second coat. The instructions say to use 4 - 5 coats for best results. Super easy. I covered the entire piece with the medium so the finish would be the same. This product is an all-in-one glue and glaze.


It "popped" a little more than I wanted, so I used the Annie Sloan dark wax to tone it down. Because of the glazed surface from the decoupage medium, I did not start with the clear wax. I could not find any instructions for using dark wax with the decoupage medium, so I just made it up as I went along. I turned out fine.

(Forgot to take a picture of the dark wax application)


The lamp was looking not right, so I decided to add gilding wax. I started with my finger and then got a Q-tip because the areas were small. The more I applied, the better I liked it. It was a little tedious, so I put on another episode of REIGN. Then it hit me - I was recreating the costumes of the royal characters with their gold-threaded damask!


Do you see it, too??


One lamp down, one to go.

 Or should I try something else? Please let me know what you think!


The lamp next to gilt-edged poetry books from the 19th century that belonged to my great-grandfather (the books, not the century).


While the contractor is tearing down walls in the next room, I was hanging the pictures to make a little vignette. Hubby has always said I want to hang the pictures before the walls are even up. He is literally correct this time. 






3 comments:

  1. Cool. Now I want to find a a tacky glass lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Katie! And absolutely do the next lamp the same. And I'm heading to Tuesday morning. Just amazed at your trash to treasure projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I love how you have it displayed.

    ReplyDelete